5.20.2008

Shocka! Portland Hipsters Love the Obamessiah (oh yeah, and free music)!

Earlier this week, he had a crowd of 75,000, and I was not shocked that so many hipsters came out to see the Obamessiah. Turns out I was right to not be shocked, as right before Obama came to the stage, hipster-doofus band The Decemberists played a free 45-minute concert for the crowd. I'm shocked, shocked, that the media failed to report that.

The Decemberists, if you don't know, are a popular, well received Portland-based band. I (somewhat) liked their album Picaresque, but haven't really listened to them since one of my friends made me listen to them almost non-stop on a road trip. That kinda thing usually puts me off a band for a long time.

I, like Jim Geraghty, wonder if they played their song "Sixteen Military Wives":
The video depicts a bully named "Henry Stowecroft" (Kissinger and Brent?) representing the United States in a grade school model United Nations who declares war on Luxembourg. I kid you not when I tell you the video begins with the bully putting on a flag pin.

The lyrics:

Sixteen military wives
Thirty-two softly focused brightly colored eyes
Staring at the natural tan
of thirty-two gently clenching wrinkled little hands
Seventeen company men
Out of which only twelve will make it back again
Sergeant sends a letter to five
Military wives, whose tears drip down through ten little eyes

Cheer them on to their rivals
Cause America can, and America can't say no
And America does, if America says it's so
It's so!

And the anchorperson on TV goes...
La de da de da

Fifteen celebrity minds
Leading their fifteen sordid wretched checkered lives
Will they find the solution in time
Using their fifteen pristine moderate liberal minds?
Here is the video in question. I was able to watch it 30 seconds before finding it too obnoxious to finish. You could have a drinking game to go along with all the half-brained dKos talking points presented therein.

No comments: