5.16.2008

The Obamessiah and Gay Marriage

In light of yesterday's gay marriage decision by the California Supreme Court, let's revisit a post I made in mid-March about the Obamessiah's nuanced position on gay marriage....

-----------------------------------------------

When His Holiness was running for his Illinois Senate seat in 2004, same-sex marriage was a hot topic in Democrat circles. San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom had recently decided to defy the rule of law and authorize the city to issue same-sex marriage licenses. St. Obama was naturally asked his position on the issue:
"I'm a Christian, and so although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman," Obama said.
But here is the kicker: his denomination of Christianity supports gay marriage!:
The UCC has been one of the most supportive religious organizations in the fight for marriage equality for same-sex couples. Many UCC clergy members across the country regularly perform same-sex union ceremonies.
How, then, does one arrive at St. Obama's conclusion? Does he find gay marriage incompatible with Christianity based upon his own personal study? Is the position based on political expediency?

It seems as though St. Obama's church (according to him) takes many positions with which he is in disagreement. I understand not believing in every position church leadership has, but I think at some point in the previous two decades as a member I would have begun the search for a new congregation, if not an entirely new denomination.

----------------------------------------------

Hopefully someone will call him on this if he gets asked. I'm not holding my breath, though.

No comments: