3.21.2008

John Dingell: Hey, I've got an idea! Let's raise the gas tax by $0.50/gallon!

You've really got to work to keep those approval ratings at 20% or less, don't ya Johnny boy? Showing, once again, how much they truly care about working class Americans, Rep. John Dingell (D-MI) has suggested a half-dollar increase in the gasoline excise tax to help the environment:
A Michigan congressman wants to put a 50-cent tax on every gallon of gasoline to try to cut back on Americans' consumption.

Polls show that a majority of Americans support policies that would reduce greenhouse gases. But when it comes to paying for it, it's a different story.

Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., wants to help cut consumption with a gas tax but some don't agree with the idea, according to a new poll by the National Center for Public Policy Research.

The poll, scheduled to be released on Thursday, shows 48 percent don't support paying even a penny more, 28 percent would pay up to 50 cents more, 10 percent would pay more than 50 cents and 8 percent would pay more than a dollar.
I don't know about you, but I can barely afford gas as it is, and my car gets 35-40 mpg. Which is interesting, because aren't Democrats always the ones saying they are for helping the poor? I make less than $20K a year after taxes...I don't see how five more dollars sent to the government each time I fill the tank is helping my situation.

My favorite line in the article:
Some environmentalists and economists say pain at the pump may be bad for Americans, but good medicine for a sick planet.
See, I call those economists "bad economists" or "tenured Marxist college professors".

And while I would like to think this would hurt him in November, Rep. Dingell has, of course, been entrenched in the U.S. House of Representatives since 1955. He's not going anywhere.

No comments: