Some will see this as an attempt to justify or excuse comments that are simply inexcusable. I can assure you it is not. I suppose the politically safe thing would be to move on from this episode and just hope that it fades into the woodwork. We can dismiss Reverend Wright as a crank or a demagogue, just as some have dismissed Geraldine Ferraro, in the aftermath of her recent statements, as harboring some deep-seated racial bias.Got that? Geraldine Ferraro and her comments are no different than Hate-monger Jeremiah Wright's loathsome "sermons".
That is about an unfair a comparison as I can think of in this situation. Let's do a quick compare and contrast, shall we? Here is what Ferraro said:
"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."Now here is what Hate-monger Wright has been saying:
- "Israel" is a "dirty word", and Israeli policies are somewhat responsible for 9/11.
- "The government lied about Pearl Harbor. They knew the Japanese were going to attack."
- "The government lied about the Tuskegee experiment. They purposely infected African-American men with syphilis."
- "Fighting for peace is like raping for virginity."
- He called America the "U.S. of KKK A"
- "Black men turning on black men. That is fighting the wrong enemy. You both are the primary targets in an oppressive society that sees both of you as a dangerous threat."
- "We cannot see how the same thing we're doing is the same thing al-Qaeda is doing under a different color flag."
- "And guess what else, if they don't find them some weapons of mass destruction, they gonna do just like the LAPD and plant them some weapons of mass destruction."
- God damn America! That's in the Bible, for killin' innocent people. God damn America for treating us citizens as less than human. God damn America!"
There are then the following quotes:
Mr. Wright thundered on: “America is still the No. 1 killer in the world. . . . We are deeply involved in the importing of drugs, the exporting of guns, and the training of professional killers . . . We bombed Cambodia, Iraq and Nicaragua, killing women and children while trying to get public opinion turned against Castro and Ghadhafi . . . We put [Nelson] Mandela in prison and supported apartheid the whole 27 years he was there. We believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God.”And:
His voice rising, Mr. Wright said, “We supported Zionism shamelessly while ignoring the Palestinians and branding anybody who spoke out against it as being anti-Semitic. . . . We care nothing about human life if the end justifies the means. . . .”
Concluding, Mr. Wright said: “We started the AIDS virus . . . We are only able to maintain our level of living by making sure that Third World people live in grinding poverty. . . .”
“We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye,” Rev. Wright said in a sermon on Sept. 16, 2001.So, yes, St. Obama, those Geraldine and Jeremiah are exactly the same.
“We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America’s chickens are coming home to roost,” he told his congregation.